Luther McDonald (Kings Counsel) is an experienced litigator, with a broad practice in Common Law and Equity, covering corporate and commercial law, insolvency, Real Property, trusts, fraud and financial services.
He is well known for his expertise in financial services and has been involved in matters with all the major banks in The Bahamas (Commercial and Offshore). Luther has developed a keen interest in Blockchain, Cryptocurrency, and digital market regulation within The Bahamas. He has recently completed the MIT Exec Management course in Blockchain Technology and Innovation
Some of his recent matters have included:
- Disputes involving private client and trust company
- Numerous Quieting title and Trespass actions
- Represented a bank regarding in a bank account ‘ownership’ dispute
- Represented a bank in a lawsuit brought against them by a real estate agent
- Successfully represented Water Supply Contractor against statutory agency in much publicised case: Water Sewage Corporation (WSC) Vs Aqua Designs (Bahamas) Ltd
Luther currently serves on the Board of the Securities Commission of The Bahamas and has previously served as a member of the Ethics Committee of the Bahamas Bar Association.
Luther was called to the Bar of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas and the Bar of England and Wales of the Honorary Society of Lincoln’s Inn in 1980. He completed his LLB with Honours from the University of Buckingham, United Kingdom in 1979 and the Bar Vocational Course at the Inns of Court School of Law in London in 1980. He also obtained an undergraduate degree from St. Johns University, Minnesota, in 1976.